Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My goofy mustache


Well, maybe it time to show what I looked like while I was over there. I grew the mustache because, well I thought it made me look more "rugged". Looking at myself now, well it just looks goofy.

Anyway, I am at a place called Midigo. It is in the Yumbe district of Uganda. Just about 20 miles or so from Sudan. Midigo has a long history, but few people know much about it.

When I went to vist it for the first time, in 1999, I was told I was the first white person they had seen in 70 years! Thankfully, that last experience was a good one and a few old "mosea" or elders remembered that person as a good man who help bring medicine during a desease outbreak.

I was there, on the trip in the picture, to deliver some red chillis. (the trouble with that last statement is the amount of exlaining it requires) I'll talk about that in the next post. Actually, there is so much to tell about the people of Midigo. They more than anything I ever did anywhere in Africa, impacted my life.

I think they would be happy to know that they are being remembered. As one elder told me, "he knows how far it is to America" and it is a "miracle that I have come that far". A huge statement for me to absorb, one that I am only now realizing the full meaning.

No comments: