Friday, October 28, 2005

Breakfast with MSF

Sometimes, while in Sudan, there were very odd situations. Times where somewhat normal activities were combined with very odd scenery.

One mission to Biem, Sudan, required refueling the aircraft part way through the mission. So I left the rest of the team in Biem, while I went with the aircraft to refuel. This was important since, sometimes these pilots would simply decide to go home instead of finishing the mission.

So we flew to a small village where we had a supply of fuel stashed. It happened to also have a small hospital run by MSF or Doctor's Without Borders. So, being the kind people they were they invited me for breakfast while we were refueling the plane.

Sitting in the compound with them I had a nice breakfast of French Toast (of course) and bacon. I felt a little bad, since about an hour's flight away the rest of the team was dealing with starving and sick people in the dust.

As I was sitting there thinking how peaceful it was in this compound. I happened to see something that I had never seen before. It was a bomb shelter. Not the cold War back yard stuff. This was the real deal. I asked them how often they used it. They told me not to worry the Sudanese government only bombed in the very early morning. Left unsaid was how the Sudanese government only bombed hospitals...

No comments: