Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Nile River and Big Crocs


This picture was taken on the Nile river near the Para Lodge in Uganda. I have taken this boat trip up the Nile many times, and this guy is always sitting the same spot.

I don't know how long crocs live, but my guess is that this guy has been sitting there longer than I have been alive. He is pretty much full sized about 15 feet or so... maybe longer. Of course it really doesn't matter since he would certainly have very little trouble dealing with me.

The Nile river always amazed me. Here in Uganda it is near the headwaters of the Nile, yet it is still a big river. It flows for many thousands of miles north through Sudan and Egypt before spilling out into the sea.

The number of cultures it crosse must number in the dozens. All of them have based their exsistance, at least in part, on this river. I heard that an expidition recently tried to navigate the entire river. I don't know if they made it all the way, but what a fascinating trip that would have been!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I never knew crocs could be so big!!!