Monday, November 21, 2005

How giving a lift saved my life... Part 2

So, with the park ranger in the cab with me we drove off to the park. Pakwatch is an interesting place. It is a major crossroads for both vehicle traffic and river traffic. I wish I had seen it when it was in full swing. The Nile river, the old Uganda Railroad and several major roads all intersect at Pacwatch. Today there is very little river traffic, and the railroad does not operate.

You can still see the remains of the railroad depot and the docks on the river as you head south from town. Crossing the Albert Nile river over the railroad bridge and past several more army check points, you make a right turn off the main road to Kampala and drive into the park.

The park roads are much nicer than the main road, and is usually much safer. This morning didn't seem any different to me. I paid the park fees at the gate and let off my friend the park ranger. Off I went, in my blue land cruise pickup.

The first sign of anything odd was after I crossed the Nile (the Victoria Nile this time). I stopped at a friend's place (he owned a lodge on the south side of the river). I usually stopped there, because his place was the last place to use a real toilet and get a bottle of cold soda. This time he came out to greet me before I even got out of the truck.

I remember he looked puzzled, but I couldn't quite figure what was up. As I was getting ready to leave he asked me if everything was ok... I thought it was, but asked him if he had heard anything. "No, he said, he thought there might have been some trouble up north, but since I had made it, he thought it might have been just a rumor.

No comments: