Monday, November 07, 2005

My First Taste of Goat

I had a lot of "firsts" when traveling in Africa. Including the first taste of Goat meat.

Now, when I was growing up, I had a pet goat, a French Alpine. So as animals go, goats have a special place in my heart. So it wasn't like I started out trying to find a place to eat goat meat.

It was in a small cafe in Lodwar, Kenya. I really can't remember the name of it, only that it was named after the woman who owned it. The menu was in Kiswahili, so I had a friend translate it. I think I order fried meat on rice. I should have known better, because as I remember it, everyone was smiling at me as I took my first bite.

Sure enough, I was told that I had just tried goat meat... and it really wasn't bad. A little chewy, and a little greasy... but otherwise paletable. I had many other experiences with goat after that. Most tasted pretty bad, but every so often I would have something I liked.

By the way, I got back at my african friends a few months later. I took them out for Chinese food! They ended up loving it.

No comments: