Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Mazungu Girl


I case you were wonder my daughter is the white girl just to the left of middle. Her name is Emily, and she loves Africa. Everything about it was a good memory for her. Including this day. She was handing out bananas to children in a slum near where we lived.

Emily became so accustomed to living in Africa that she was scared when we moved back home. She was scared of white people. For some reason mom and dad fell into a different category, but any other white people and she would hide behind our legs.

I believe she has a better sense of who humans are than I do. For her she can not see any difference between colors of people. I think she is truely confused by the idea of "race". This is one thing that makes me so happy about our experiences in Africa. I just pray she will always carry this sense of being human with her.

1 comment:

Gipukan's blogging from a P1i said...

Well would hope the same for my 2 daughters born in Uganda. Are you still around? have a look at present Uganda http://www.flickr.com/photos/gipukan/

Gip